What are Janealogy’s Scottish family tree prices? I offer packages or work on an hourly rate
- Scots Pine Branch – one line researched back four generations and presented as an electronic chart (tree) only – £100. Must start with someone born in Scotland, no earlier than 1900. Sample chart (pdf) If the report starts with you or someone else born after 1930 for whom you can supply a birth registration, you will receive a five generation chart. Sample chart (pdf).
- Juniper – up to ½ day research and report – £150 – ideal for a precise query
- Heather – up to 1 day research and report – £270 – great for investigating one line, including transcripts of births, marriages and deaths and relevant census entries, possibly back to around 1800, for example.
- Rowan – up to 2½ days research and report – £620 – great for investigating more than one line, possibly back to around 1800, for example
They all include:
- a full research report (electronic only). NB Scots Pine Branch is chart by email only.
- my travel costs and entry fees for ScotlandsPeople or other archives in central Scotland
Extras: copies of documents found in the course of the research, charged at the rate set by the archive plus processing costs; printed report, with postage; presentation binder (if the research is to be a gift for example). These will be discussed fully before work goes ahead.
Work by the hour
The rate varies according to the type of work and covers my research (including any unsuccessful searches), report writing time, one electronic copy of your report. Additional costs include:
- Travel – 2nd class rail fare (or 45p per mile if car is needed)
- Archive entry (ScotlandsPeople Centre and hubs cost £15 per day, most others are free)
- Copies of documents from archives charged at the rate set by the archive (printed or photographed).
- Printed copy of the report
- Presentation binder – if the report is to be a gift for example
Why not ask me for a quote?
When and how do I pay?
As some of my costs are upfront, I normally ask for a deposit before work begins, or payment in full if the work is for half a day or less or for a new client. I accept payment by BACS transfer (preferred), cash, sterling cheque, or PayPal.
If research hits a dead end, the relevant proportion of the fee will be returned or not billed as appropriate.